Key Industry Facts at a Glance
- Asia-Pacific dominates global mining production (56% by value).
- Indonesia's mining industry value is expected to reach US$147bn in real terms by 2015.
- Indonesia is the world's second-largest producer of lignite and the world's seventh-largest producer of hard coal. It is also the world's largest exporter of thermal coal.
- In the South East Asia region, Indonesia remains the top place for new mining projects, followed by the Philippines and Vietnam.
- Indonesia is a highly important export market for Australia's mining and mineral processing technology.
- The mining equipment market is set to grow at a CAGR of 6.2% during 2010-2015,with many expansion projects in the pipeline. The boom in the demand for mining equipment is expected to be significant with many global mining firms entering the Indonesian market.
- Coal production in Indonesia will reach 529mnt by 2015 from 359mnt in 2010, driven by various expansion plans by Adaro Energy, Banpu, BHP Billiton & Dianlia Setyamukti, Bumi Resources-KPC, Churchill Mining and Kangaroo Resources.
Source: Business Monitor International Ltd, E&M Journal, ICD Research, Ocean Strategy, Research and Markets